Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Friday, December 23, 2005

I know, it's late, but something happened earlier today (technically, yesterday) that has really upset me: Veronica was bitten by one of her classmates. On the face. HARD. Her preschool wrote up an accident report, complete with how they treated it and what was going on at the time (a transition between activities, apparently.) But I actually got the name of the kid from Veronica herself, and one of Veronica's teachers filled in the blanks. He went to hug her, and they thought he was going to give her a kiss (as the kids are sometimes wont to do at this age) when he just lunged and bit down. She still has lower teeth marks on her right cheek, and her eye is a bit red underneath; I think she may have something like a black eye here soon.

Now, Veronica doesn't seem too fazed by this; don't get me wrong, she cried like hell at the time, but she seems to be OK now. And I know that this probably couldn't have been prevented. That this kid is just going through some phase and never meant to hurt her. That his parents probably don't even know he'd do such a thing or, even if they did, are at their wits' ends trying to figure out how to handle the situation and are horrified this happened. That it could've just as well been MY kid who bit someone (Veronica's never had a propensity to do such a thing, but since when have two-year-olds been known for being predictable?) And even with all this justificaiton, I'm just so angry. I just want to yell at someone, or at least be justifiably pissed at someone, but I can't. I have this anger that has no outlet. I just have to live with the fact that someone hurt my little girl, and there's nothing I can do about it. And that's the hardest thing of all to deal with right now.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Maranie,

    Unfortunately, you are doing the best that any mother can do in these types of incidents. I guess you could ask for the parents' information and call them to discuss the incident, but not to yell. If you would like, you may call and yell at me about it.

    Kids are resilliant (sp). She'll move on and may or may not remember the kid biting her. Just speaking with her about how it was not nice and how she shouldn't do it to anyone is the thing to do, maybe. I am not sure.

    Heck, I'm pissed about it. I had to push my jaw closed when I read this post. I hope she doesn't have a black eye, and that the marks go away.

    I hope my words have helped. If not, just ignore them. Again, you can call and curse me out or if you'd like, I can call you and you can yell about it then.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home