Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Monday, December 19, 2005

Anyone who's spent a decent amount of time around me (especially in the month of December) knows how stressed out I get over the holidays. And on top of the usual stress is Jason's stomach flu, which has been coming and going now for over two weeks and is just awful. I'm worried about him and, frankly, exhausted because I'm pretty much caring for Veronica myself (and him a little too.) I had the same bug this weekend and lemme tell ya, it ain't pretty. I'm still not up to par. Add to that too the normal stresses of starting a new job, although I'm really liking it there and I think I'm catching on really quickly.

But why focus on the negative when we have a tidbit of joy: Aunt Emily's wedding, which took place on Saturday. It was lovely. It was a nice ceremony, and Emily looked positively radiant in her gown, with her tiara and her hair up in curls. The reception was very nice as well (at least, what I saw of it before I had to leave, being that I was in the throes of a stomach bug.)

The best part of the wedding, however, at least for me and Jason: Veronica as the flower girl.

Jason had to bribe her with her favorite outfit - her "jaguar" clothes, a leopard-print jogging suit my mom bought for her in Vegas - to get her into the gown. As a compromise, he let her wear the jaguar pants under her skirt, which was fine because the skirt was too long to see it. We had a bit of a snafu trying to get her to go down the aisle, resulting in me walking her there and tossing the petals myself. Once we got there, Veronica handled the first two steps up to the altar before lifting up her arms for the final one and saying "Pick up?" which made the congregation titter. And once the procession and the music stopped, she put a little finger up to her lips as if to say "shhhhh...." Too cute. Throughout the ceremony, she pretty much stayed in place, was silent, and was overall very well-behaved. Frankly, Jason and I were amazed.

Of course, however, we're dealing with a two-year-old here, so of course something went wrong. (And no, nothing to do with Zane - his parents pretty much decided that it wasn't going to happen with him, so while Anne was in the wedding party as a bridal attendant, Ben stayed back at Emily's house and played with Zane.) About a minute or two into the ceremony, Veronica starts rubbing her nose. Then she starts to pick it. She really goes to town, digging for gold, up to the second knuckle. This is enough to make Jason and I swallow laughter. But it gets worse.

Veronica actually gets a booger out of her nose, on the altar, in the middle of the wedding. We really can't see it, even though we're in the front row. How do we know this? Because she instantly looks perturbed, and puts her little hand up to Jason's 11-year-old cousin Maria, the maid-of-honor, so she can wipe it off. This is old hat to me and Jason, but of course, not to Maria. Maria does nothing, so Veronica looks very vexed. She starts shaking her hand like mad, the offending finger flapping in the breeze. She rubs her hands together. She rubs her face. She shakes her hands again like a madwoman. And then suddenly: problem solved. No more shaking. Problem is, if the trajectory we guessed was correct...

...wait for it...

...

....

My daughter flipped a booger on the bride's gown.

(sigh)

Jason and I are about dying at this point. I've literally got tears streaming down my face. One of the attendants, Jason's cousin Beth, has her husband seated behind us, and he's losing it too. We look up at the bridesmaids, and although we can only see their backs, we can see some shaking. We can see Anne's profile. The gowns are red, and Anne's face matches the gown.

At the end of the ceremony (which was 25 minutes long - I timed it just to see how long my kid would be that quiet and well-behaved in such a strange setting for her), Veronica yawned and sat down on the altar. Everyone else proceeded out. The pastor tried to offer her a hand, but she wouldn't budge. So Jason walked up, she held up her arms, and he swooped her up. He held her at our front seats, and then he heard giggling behind him. Yup, you guessed it. Her little hoopskirt had flipped up and just revealed the infamous jaguar pants to the entire congregation.

I just had to share this with everyone because I'm still laughing over it. And after this, Veronica and Zane had a wonderful time playing together. She really doesn't play with any other kids like she does with him, and according to Anne and Ben, vice versa. She kept asking today if she could go see him. It's really so sweet to watch them playing together.

So here's to the positive, the good points of this stressful week. And a funny anecdote to boot. Hope y'all enjoyed. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home