Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

So as Veronica likes to dance and hear music, Jason came up with the bright idea last night to play our Spike Jonze video collection on DVD. For the most part, she loved it.

Her favorites, and the references will make sense if you've ever seen the video:

"California" by Wax ("Wanna see de guy wif de fire! He a firebender?")
"Feel the Pain" by Dinosaur Jr. ("Wanna see de ball in de water!")
"Weapon of Choice" by Fatboy Slim ("Wanna see him dance on de table! Wanna see him fly! He a airbender?")

And her very favorite:

"It's Oh So Quiet" by Bjork ("Wanna see de orange shirt! She wash her face, she have choc-late on it? Dere de umbrella!")

I think we now have the hippest kid in Ohio, if not the entire U.S. But is it really a good idea to expose my child to the same things that gave my generation a split-second attention span? Not like I have cable so she sees videos elsewhere...not like any of the so-called "music channels" play videos anymore, anyway....

Who knows. Just hearing her sing along with "I don't care 'bout that!" to Weezer's "Buddy Holly" is enough, though, to put aside my doubts and just enjoy the moment.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Glad to hear that Veronica likes Bjork. Oddly enough, I recently pulled out the Bjork CD that I bought used in Athens (what was the name of that record store on Court Street?) 10 or so years ago! Good stuff, good stuff...

     
  • At 12:07 PM , Blogger Maranie said...

    It was Schoolkids, and last I heard, they don't sell music anymore. I'm not even sure they're still open. Sara and I are tentatively planning a spring/summer visit to Athens, so I guess we'll see then!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home