Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Friday, March 24, 2006

You know, it's good to have a child who has her own mind. Except when you're trying to medicate her.

She's on amoxicillin for her strep throat but hates the taste. So every time we need to give it to her, a battle ensues. All the following elements are present: Screaming, flailing, more glass-shattering screaming, going limp, going stiff, protests of "I no wike dat! Let me go! Not 'til waiter!" at high volume, holding arms down from pushing the medicine syringe from her mouth yet again, holding legs down to stop vicicious kicking.....

Then one of us squirts the medicine in her mouth and hopes for the best. In vain, I might add.

The best we've ever done was by holding her mouth shut afterwards; even though she didn't spit any out, she started choking and we were convinced it'd went into her lungs and felt like hell. In an attempt to not be the world's worst parents, we've since abandoned that idea, which now results again in her spitting the medicine out and more flailing, resulting in pink sticky liquid on the following items so far:

Her hair
Her face
Her clothes
Her teddy bear
Her stuffed giraffe (aka "Baby Jaguar", which is what she calls it sometimes.)
Her SpongeBob towel
My clothes
My hands
Jason's clothes
Jason's hands
Our feet
The floor (where we must keep Janus away, because I'm pretty sure this isn't good for kitties.)

Tonight Jason snuck the medicine into a chocolate shake from Steak N' Shake. She still had to be coerced and bribed to drink it. We're considering taking her to the doctor; my co-worker Stephanie, who has a son who's about 7, said he's been getting penicillin shots for his numerous cases of strep throat over the years. At any rate, what's going on now isn't good for any of us. It upsets all of us, gets things messy, possibly puts Janus in danger, and worst of all, we can't guarantee that she's actually getting the proper dosage with her spitting and flailing and all.

There's got to be a better way of doing this, at least until she takes her medicine without a fight. I'm thinking several years for that one...

2 Comments:

  • At 3:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You mean to tell me that Veronica doesn't like the "bubble gum" medicine?! I think this is one for Guinness Book!

    When I was a tot, I actually broke into the fridge and pried open a bottle -- that's how much I liked it. More recently, my daughter has been known to sign "more" after slurping down a dose.

     
  • At 6:44 PM , Blogger Maranie said...

    Veronica used to take medicine with no hassle, until she got one - JUST ONE, a cough syrup - that she hated. And to make matters worse, my mom got her to take it one day by cooing "um, yum yum, it's good!" So now she doesn't trust us for ANY medicine. (grumble).

    It's better than the death-green crap I had to take as a child! But she won't eat Flinstones vitamins either, only the Winnie-the-Pooh gummie vitamins. I know, I don't get it either!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home