Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Monday, March 03, 2003

Wow, it's been a while since I've updated this puppy, huh?

OK, now that the snowstorm of the century has ended, I have no excuse to not write, except one: I feel like total crap.

I'm HUGE. I am having trouble getting in and out of cars, or up from a seated position, or around in general. My back hurts. My stomach's getting all icky when I eat, from all the pressure on it. And let's not even talk about the sleep I cannot seem to get. I'm exhausted, mildly sick, and overall I just feel BAD.

At least I have somewhat of an excuse for feeling so huge: My last doctor's visit showed that Veronica's size is around 3 weeks ahead of schedule. My uterus was measuring at 33.5 weeks, although I was only at 30.5. (How do they measure a uterus, you might ask? Women who haven't been through this are instantly picturing some sort of medieval torture device, but they actually use a tape measure on top your belly. That's it. Ridiculous, isn't it?) My doctor said her size might even out, but then again, we took an unofficial measurement during the gender scan several weeks back, which showed a baby sized at 26.5 weeks when I was only at 24.5 at the time. This means that all the rude people who have asked "are you sure you're not having twins?" or the like are not entirely off the mark, if my baby's measuring almost a month ahead of where we should be. (Add that to the fact that I wasn't exactly svelte before getting pregnant, and my short height which means the baby has no direction to go but OUT, and you can imagine how gigantic I look.)

Big Baby also means a possible extra ultrasound and, if the trend continues, perhaps an early induced labor. Which I really wouldn't mind. The uncertainty factor scares the hell out of me; I don't mind going through childbirth, I just want to know WHEN. It's not like the due date means a whole hell of a lot - I'll have about a month-long window in which I could have the baby, and that's really not something you want to spring on a gal at any time, any where. And dammit, it would be nice if only to know that my legs will be shaved for the event.

And most importantly, having a big baby isn't unhealthy, from my understanding. I'd rather she be a little big than small, and my doctor will make sure she will not get so large that it will be unhealthy for ME. At least, not unhealthy at the time of birth. As for now, my feeling like crap can't possibly be good for either one of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home