Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Wednesday, November 20, 2002

Well, it's finally happened: I got the uninvited tummy rub.

I'm walking down the hall at work today, heading back to my desk, when one of my middle-aged female co-workers walks by me, reaches over, and without any warning just starts running her hand up n' down my abdomen. I don't care how much this is supposed to be sweet or whatever, my first instinct was to scream.

Jason can do this any time he wants to. His mother did it when we saw her this weekend, but I know her well enough to have expected it and saw it coming from a mile away. This, though - ACK. I am not one of those people. If there was an antonym for "touchy feely," it would be me. Ma'am, I am not a Buddha. Rubbing my belly will NOT bring you good luck. In fact, it may just bring the opposite. :-P

This, on top of the ever-present group of people who always find it necessary to point out how much my stomach is expanding (which doesn't help after a visit to my pregnant sister-in-law, Anne, whose baby is two weeks older than mine - I look like I'm due on New Year's and she looks like she ate one large meal.) Jason thinks this is just people being friendly. And truly, I know that is the intent. But y'know, there's a really hot attorney at the office, and I don't go rubbing his belly in the hallway and commenting on his abs. Why is it acceptable for people to do the same to ME, and in a non-flattering way?

At least I have some good news - a new scanner, which means hopefully some pictures soon! They won't be posted here (damn me and my lousy handle on HTML) but I should have a link sometime soon. That's my next project, though, after bed, work, guests stopping by in the upcoming weeks, going to WV for Thanksgiving (but rushing home in time to catch Mid-Ohio Con on Sunday!), getting Christmas shopping done....On second thought, don't hold your breath for those photos, folks, I'll get to them when I can. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home