Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Tuesday, November 05, 2002

Good news: The morning sickness seems to have abated. So has the crippling fatigue. Life is feeling kinda swanky again.

Bad news: My car got totalled this weekend, and guess who was driving it.

OK, first off, just for an FYI for anyone panicking right now, is that I seem to be fine and it seems the baby is fine too. Moving on.....

The gist of it is, I'm driving and a guy in a silver SUV makes a left-hand turn into my passenger side, thus knocking me into a complete 180. My passenger-side doors are shot; the front one will not open nor lock, while the back one is worse; I believe the handle has completely disenegrated. Upon opening the trunk, Jason and I see that the spare tire has come loose, and therefore has cracked the inside of the trunk somewhat.

I went to the hospital for back pain, and of course to check on the baby. The ultrasound showed Kiddo, and lemme tell ya, that kid was NOT HAPPY. He was throwing himself around my womb so much that the doctor was zig-zagging the sensor all over my abdomen to follow him. This means that, for what we can tell right now, my baby's OK. In fact, that level of activity (plus what the doctor on duty assured me was a good heartbeat, although he didn't give us a rate) was a very good sign. But it didn't look like a kid playing. It looked like a kid throwing a tantrum. Someone got some of Mommy's adrenaline in his system, didn't he? ;-P But Jason and I were worried as hell there for a while.

I'm not going into too much detail because of insurance details, claims, and of course the fact that I work here at a law office. I'm not much into incriminating myself, in case someone would wander onto this site. Right now, though, I'm upset at my missed afternoon. I needed to get work done and some extra pay, as did Jason (who I called away from work.) I did NOT need to be stressing over my baby, with a sore back, waiting in emergency rooms and wondering where the hell my car was towed to.

And for anyone who liked the Plymouth, had fond memories of it, yada yada, please bear in mind that while it is going to a repair shop, there's a good chance it's totalled. It's going to need a LOT of work, and it is a 1997 Breeze with 83k miles on it. Sorry, but it looks like bye-bye to the Bubblemobile (as my friend Jarrod dubbed it once a few years back.)

One thing I have to mention, though, is that when Jason got to the scene, he was amazed. Here's my car, and the silver SUV (which not only hit me hard but then veered off into someone's yard, shearing off a 15-foot evergreen tree and dragging it about 20 feet in the process), and he couldn't believe that with that much damage, there were no serious injuries. (The other guy drove away his vehicle. It was a Mercedes - if I ever get the money, I'm sold. I mean, DAMN. Although he did hit me hard enough that no one has been able to find his front license plate - who knows where it flew off to.) I think, all in all, both myself and the other guy were pretty lucky it wasn't worse, which I need to bear in mind as I go through the pain in the ass of calling insurance companies, driving my little Nissan rental, and harassing my sick husband to rub my stiff back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home