Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Whew. I know it's been a while. But here's the lamest excuse ever, followed by an explanation:

I'm tired.

Now, seriously, I know that sounds like a cop-out, but I'm talking the type of tired that makes me fall asleep at work, makes me almost run red lights in my car. I can't concentrate on anything, and no matter how much sleep I've gotten, I always feel groggy, like I've just woken up. I went to the doctor today, and she got a chest X-ray (normal) and some blood work done. The next step, if the blood work comes back normal, is some sleep clinic tests to see if I have sleep apnea. I don't care what it is at this point, I just want to be awake.

Onto Veronica news:

Tonight she was up on the bed and got under the covers. She sat there, "hiding," a large upright lump under the comforter. Then I heard a PBBBBBBPT sound. She announced, "I fart," of course muffled from being under the covers. I stiffled a giggle and said "Yes, you did fart, and you probably don't want to be under there much longer. Trust me on this one." Mere seconds later, she was saying "Get out! Get out under here," and helped me get her out from under the sheets. I was cracking up. "Honey," I said, "I never thought I'd see you give yourself a dutch oven."

A couple weeks ago she had to deal with death. Kind of. An ant had wandered into the house, near the French doors to our backyard. It happens from time to time. Anyway, the ant was on the floor in front of the little recliner where Pita was sleeping. Veronica walked up to greet Pita, saw the ant, and immediately plopped down on the floor. After petting Pita for a moment, she looked around the floor and said "Where d'go?" She lifted up her legs, and I saw the ant, now quite squished, on her right leg. I figured it was bothering her, so I flicked it off and said "There it is. All better now." She looked at the ant, now balled-up and motionless, flicked it herself once, and then just started bawling. She was inconsolable for a few minutes. I took her to the sofa and told her not to be afraid, it's OK, that happens to ants a lot but the rest of us, not so much. That seemed to calm her down. I told her I'd explain more about it when she was a little older, and I will. I mean, I really didn't think I was going to need to explain the mortality of anything to her, much less alone an insect, at this young age.

Past numerous viewings of "Finding Nemo," that's all that's going on here. I'm tired and Veronica is just surprising us all the time. More later. Possibly with photos. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home