Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Quick update:

Some good news, finally: I’ve been offered a temp position at Nationwide, starting next Tuesday. It’s not the one I was going for, but it pays what I made at Demers & Cohen before I got my raise, and I’m very excited about the position. Plus it’s to last indefinitely, so here’s hoping it might morph into something more once my temp stint is up.

I’m typing this from the reception desk at an accounting firm in downtown Columbus. I’m temping as of yesterday, ending tomorrow, and since my only job duties are to answer the phones and greet visitors, I’ve been allowed to play on the internet (provided, I’m sure, that I don’t visit any unseemly sites.) Everyone here has been very nice to me, and hopefully I’m doing a good job for them. I’m trying to stay busy by helping out other people, but as there’s not a lot I can do, here I am on the ‘net.

Sunday saw the two-year reunion of my Lamaze class. I'll soon be posting a photo of the event, courtesy of Catherine, mother of Melanie and now a baby named Jack. Three of the moms have already had another baby (now ranging in age from 2 to 4 months) and a fourth one is pregnant. A fifth one has separated from her child’s father. A lot to happen in two years.

Our children all seemed to have a good time, but once again, I had one of the oddballs. While most of the kids were sticking close to Mom and Dad, or having fun in an inflatable bouncing pit, Veronica wandered off to a swingset with a stuffed Big Bird and proceeded to carefully place him in the baby swing, push him, and say “wheee!” The other kids demolished their cupcakes while Veronica delicately stuck one finger into the icing then licking it off, then repeating over and over until the cupcake was bald and all the rest of the kids had moved on to other pursuits. And when we tried to get all the kids onto a sofa for a picture, a few cried, a few sat there looking a bit overwhelmed, a few played with toys, and my kid cowered in a corner with her fingers in her ears. (sigh) I’m not complaining – heck, I’m her mom, of course I think her quirks mean that she’s exceptionally bright – but it’s just funny, and at times a bit exasperating, when she’s just not joining in with the other kids.

Well, I should clarify: she doesn’t join in with other kids her age (her buddy Courtney at the babysitter’s being an exception.) While she couldn’t care less what the other Lamaze babies were doing, and doesn’t really interract with Zane too much when he’s around, she simply adores our next-door neighbor’s son Jeremy, who turns five this summer. She tries to copy everything he does. At Easter, she played tag with Derrick, Jason’s six-year-old cousin. And while I was using up a coupon and a gift card at Lane Bryant last night, Jason took her to the playland at the mall, where she emulated all the older kids there. She even ignores the babies at Debbie’s house most of the time, being more interested in the fact that baby Jack has a mommy than the fact that baby Jack himself exists. (And the new babies at the Lamaze reunion? I’m not sure she even saw them, and if she did, she certainly didn’t care – although I do believe she played with every toy car there.)

At least my grandmothers and my parents will get to see Veronica’s little quirks, as we are going to West Virginia this weekend, the trip which was delayed two weeks due to my illness and Dad working the postal service food drive last Saturday. We leave tomorrow evening and will have Jason’s friend Daniel check up on the cats. So I probably won’t post for a while, unless something new comes up.

And that’s the latest here, folks. Hope all is well with you too. :-)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home