Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Monday, May 02, 2005

Well, here it is, the wee hours of the morning of May 2. Distant enough from Veronica's birthday glee that I feel comfortable to post. Jason is up, scraping the ugly border off the wall in our kitchen; whatever made him discover that a Brillo sponge would work for such a task, I don't know. I'm obviously awake too, as are the two cats. I think Veronica is the only one of us asleep; at least, I hope so.

What I need to say is, as of last Tuesday, I'm out of a job again. Amy the family law attorney fired me, for reasons that are too silly to even mention. The main one concerns a file in a large plastic binder, that she took out-of-state with her and now cannot locate. This is somehow my fault and I don't know how, as we moved offices (starting with one that was only 400 square feet, reception area and all!) and it wasn't located then. I don't even recall having seen it before, as the client's last name was one that would've elicited a Beavis-and-Butthead-style giggle from me when I first read it. What could I have possibly done with it? The consensus among my family and friends is that she just couldn't afford to pay me, and I think her assistant wasn't exactly trustworthy either. It was an adventure, to say the least, as I never even got a desk or to do much in the way of paralegal work while I was there. At least my walks to and from the parking lot three blocks away, as well as my treks up and down the ten-story building from time to time, have really gotten me into decent shape in a short period of time.

Jason and my parents are all happy to see me out of this place, making me believe that it wasn't the best place for me to be anyway, but the fact remains that this puts us in a bit of a financial crunch for the time being. Of course, we were in a financial crunch before all this happened, so it's really just bad timing and poor luck for us since around December or so. Like I'm supposed to know my firm's going out of business and my next job is going to can me in two weeks before I can even do anything to be evaluated on!

I can't say it's not stressful. At least Amy paid me 'til the end of the week, and was kind enough to send out the check on Wednesday, ensuring I'd get it by Thursday and could deposit in on Friday as I would have, anyway. But now Veronica and I are uninsured. I have prescriptions due for refill. I have to start the job search all over again. And I can't say I'm happy about the way things are going right now. So to my readers, who I know are few and far between but whom I all appreciate anyway, I wanted to warn you that my posts will probably be infrequent. They may even be quite dour and not chock-full of cheery goodness, cutesy things my child has done. They'll be more about keeping a roof over said child's head and food in her belly. And how I hate that it's come to this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home