Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Monday, January 13, 2003

Uh. Looks like it's been a while since I've updated this puppy.

Well, it's understandable, I'd say, given the lack of sleep, time, and overall energy that I've been experiencing, not to mention moodiness. I told Jason I was suffering from "fits of melancholy," which cracked his ass up. He said it's like having "attacks of lethargy," but hey, I'm having those too.

Sleep is an ever-going battle with me. First off, there's the tossing and turning. If I land on my back, I snore so loudly that I either wake myself up, or wake Jason up, leading him to prod me and say "turn on your side!" According to Baby Center, this is a normal side-effect of pregnancy. Yay. I'm ecstatic. :-P

Then there's the awakening, with numb legs that feel as heavy and dead as tree trunks. Attached to these dead legs are swollen, red feet, which nicely match my swollen fingers. I call them my clown feet and sausage fingers. The sausage fingers are so bad that I can no longer safely wear my wedding band without cutting off circulation (just as well, since I've had it off now for almost two weeks and you can STILL SEE the imprint of the ring around my finger.) The feet, well, I've just blown who knows how many dollars at Payless to get shoes a half-size bigger than I normally wear. So all in all, when you're dealing with numb hands, numb feet, and positively useless legs, getting out of bed is quite the hassle. Add the total lack o' balance due to what seems like half your body weight being concentrated in your midsection, and getting out of bed is about damned near IMPOSSIBLE. I'm shocked I don't need a pulley system or something.

What woke me up last night, at 4:38 a.m., was not the snoring or Jason's prodding, but a flurry of activity from the baby. This kid is a gymnast. This kid is Bruce Lee. Jason felt Kiddo kicking the other night and asked how I could sleep through all that, convinced as he was that I will be giving birth to Bam-Bam. The baby even knocked the wind out of me Friday evening with a heavy blow to my belly button. Even I'm wondering how someone so small and fragile could be doing THAT MUCH. I'm now envisioning an exceedingly large baby, a child that will either break hospital records or will be induced several weeks early because 5' 3" women were not meant to birth 12 lb. babies. (Btw, it's common to ask if the baby's "kicking," but technically, the kid's doing all sorts of things. Somersaults, moving arms, playing with the umbilical cord, just readjusting his or her position in the womb. Whatever it is, though, it's not just "kicking." I'm not giving birth to Riverdance.)

A weird side effect that I have yet to see mentioned: Yes, my belly itches, I've heard about that, but my belly button just aches sometimes. Then the baby kicks it, hits it, whatever, and it's just damned uncomfortable. I am convinced I am alone in this.

One thing I am very much looking forward to in the immediate future is my next doctor's visit, on Friday. Granted, this will be the day I get my glucose test performed. This means I will be drinking what is rumored to be the foulest little bottle of orange soda ever, syrupy and dripping with excess sugar, before getting my blood drawn. (Hopefully my blood sugar is normal - I'm not even going to get into the tests I'll go through if it's not.) But this will also be the day we get the "gender scan", the ultrasound to determine if Kiddo is a boy or a girl. I am so psyched over this, and so is Jason. We'd love to have a real name to call this child, as we already have our two names set in stone now (Gus Samuel or Veronica Hope). I'm going to go nuts buying items in either pink or blue. But even if this kid decides to be shy and hide that certain part of him or herself in the ultrasound, let's face it, at least we'll get to see him or her again. That alone is worth a smile. :-)

Despite all the above, Jason and I have reached a point, for the moment, where we're just getting a bit babied-out. The enormity of the situation is weighing upon us, combined with the fact that we don't even know the basics of changing a diaper. Jason's never even held a baby before. Things we take for granted, like just running out to eat or catching a movie, will now have to be thought out and planned with military precision. We knew all this before. We are still aware of it now. And yes, we still say it's worth it. I already love this child and want to give him or her the world. Jason is always looking for ways to connect with the child and provide for him.

Please don't get me wrong, don't think that these things were never considered or that we are regretting it now, because neither are true. We are just enjoying the last days where the Warren family consists of just two people. According to my dad, once your child is born, life is so much better that you can't even remember what you did before. I'll trust his judgment on this. :-) So for now, we're just finishing up the final stages of Phase 1 and preparing for Phase 2. I'd say that's the most accurate assessment of our mindset at this point.

And who am I trying to kid, as we scurry to pay off bills and attend comedy shows and concerts on a whim. I cannot wait to meet this kid, cannot wait to see Jason hold him, cannot wait to feed this baby for the first time, change the first diaper, hell, even wipe up the first spit-up. Because all the stuff people kvetch about leads up to the first smile. The first time that baby's eyes light up with recognitions of the world. The first time that child says "I love you, Mommy." Knowing this, I say that all the impromptu movie nights can disappear forever, and I cannot imagine noticing nor caring in the least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home