Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Saturday, April 17, 2004

I was going to try to tie last night's Prince concert in with Veronica somehow, but I really can't, except to relay how I described it to her. She was playing in her room today while I was putting away her clothes, and I told her:

Last night your daddy and I went to a concert. We went to see a man named Prince, and he sang and danced and played the guitar, and he was very good at all of them! And he had a band, and they sang and danced and played their instruments, and they were all very good too. And there were so many people there to see Prince, and they were all singing and dancing along and cheering. That's why Mommy's voice is so hoarse today, because Mommy was singing and cheering too. And near the end, Prince had some people from the crowd come onstage with him, mostly women, but there was a man too, all people who really liked Prince a lot, and they all danced around him and the band. And he'd hand of the microphone to some of the women, and they'd sing the song, and they had so much fun! And there were lots of lights, and confetti came down from the ceiling, and everyone had a wonderful time!

And she listened and played, and that's pretty much the gist of it. It was a good show, not exactly what I expected; he jammed a lot, did a lot of medleys, but performed very few songs all the way through. It was still a great show, though.

I think what was most amusing was something that happened during the aftermath: The mass exodus of shoeless women to their cars. Apparently a Prince concert requires more women to wear chunky sandals and high heels than other concerts do, because I don't recall having seen this phenomenon before last night's show. Even I was doing it, my big, chunky sandals (which looked adorable with my mini-skirt) having left some nasty blisters on both my big toes. I walked carefully on the sidewalks leading back to the parking lot, grinning at other women carrying their fashionable-yet-ridiculous shoes and hearing other women commenting, upon seeing me, that they weren't alone. It was funny, the things we ladies will do to be fashionable. I mean, I could've worn jeans and my tennis shoes, but it was PRINCE, for crying out loud. I don't care that he's cleaned up the raunchiness of his shows, I believe I've always had to dress a certain way in regard to the man ever since the moment I realized "Little Red Corvette" is NOT about a car. ;-)

I can't wait to take Veronica to her first concert, until I realize that her first show will NOT be something cool. It will be The Wiggles, or Barney On Ice, or something equally as ridiculous. And then it will probably move onto her generation's version of N'Sync and Britney Spears. Kind of hard to tell now, given her current favorites:

1. ABBA. But c'mon, who DOESN'T like ABBA? People say they don't like ABBA, but most of the time it's because they consider themselves too cool to admit that they sing "Dancing Queen" in the shower just like the rest of us.

2. Korn. I've never seen this, but Jason says that she completely rocks out to Korn - does her little dancing head bob (anyone with a baby knows what I'm talking about) the moment she hears one of their bass groves. Too funny.

3. Hip-hop. I'm still scratching my head over this one. It's not like Jason nor I are fans of the genre. But she loves it when it's on MTV, and goes nuts whenever she hears "Yeah" by Usher. Sometimes we just turn on MTV 2 or BET while she's playing and just let her go to town. Half the time I don't even recognize who's on the screen, and more often than not I don't even know the song, but she loves it.

4. The "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" soundtrack, which is on a long-running rotation in my car. Pretty much any song will make her gleefully kick her feet in her car seat, but her favorite seems to be "You Promised Me" by InGrid. Her least favorite on the album? "Never Coming Home" by Sting. She starts crying when it comes on. As Jason thinks Sting is a pompous ass, this amuses him to no end. As I really like the song, I've accepted that I'll just have to play it when she's not in the car.

That's all the news now, as the rest of my family naps (I've already done so myself today) and we get ready for movie night at Heather's (with her new flat-screen TV!) and possibly a cook-out with Brandon and Amanda tomorrow. :-)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home