Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Monday, November 24, 2003

OK, so I haven't posted in a while. But really, how am I supposed to keep track, when time keeps flying by and I just keep missing it?

I was kind of, but not really, watching VH1's "Spice Girls: Behind the Music" yesterday while Veronica started to doze off on my lap. It was just starting, and it was mentioning timelines of the Spice Girls popularity. Well, mention Spice Girls and I instantly think of living in southern California; you couldn't go anywhere at the time without hearing "Wannabe" or "Say You'll Be There". I've unofficially marked the time when I moved out there as the time I started really thinking of myself as an adult, when I stopped clubhopping and drinking as a pastime, when I got my first "real job," when I packed up and moved clear across the country - a pretty ballsy move for a 21-year-old from West Virginia.

And that's when it hits me: This was almost seven years ago.

Then I follow up with the thought: I've been living in the greater Columbus area now for five years.

I can't get over the time passing. Where the hell did it go? Sure, I can fill in the blanks, bringing up memories of different jobs, residences, and situations that help define what happened when. But it seems like I blinked, and "seven years went under the bridge like time standing still" (if I may quote OMD).

I've been undergoing a minor mid-life crisis lately, silly to think of at the age of 28 but completely real. I've been questioning decisions I've made, things I believed in, the roads I've taken and the ones I've passed by. Ultimately, I feel like things turned out for the best, as I'm the mother of Veronica and the wife of Jason. But I think I just can't account for that time flying by, and I'm panicking for what I might have lost along the way.

And all this, just because someone mentioned the Spice Girls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home