Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Saturday, October 04, 2003

Well, this could be something pretty amazing, or it could be Mommy imagination taking its toll. Whichever it is, I'm under the impression Veronica may have spoken her first word today.

I had placed her in her crib this morning and went to the bathroom to wash my hands after a diaper change. When I returned, I leaned over to look at her in the crib. She looked up. She smiled.

She said, "Hi!"

I said "Hi!" back and she continued to grin, then babbled for a few minutes.

This sounds ridiculous, and coincidental (or accidental), but you must understand that every morning, when Jason goes to her crib to wake her, he says "Hi" or "Hello!" to her first thing. So I'm under the impression that she got the connection. Although, even if she did, who knows when she'll make the connection again.

In other news:

Our child is very, very odd. We love her, but there's some things that just leave us scratching our heads and saying "What the hell, man."

Case in point: The butterfly rattle mentioned in the previous post? She doesn't seem to care about the bright colors, or the little mirrors. No, her favorite thing about it are the manufacturer's tags on the butterfly's butt. I'm not talking price tags, I'm talking brand tags. She's constantly grabbing for those little white pieces of cloth, the dexterity of her hands rarely being good enough to securely grab them. She's enthralled by tags on her bibs, on her toys, one on her changing table mat - anywhere there's a tag, there's Veronica, and she's loving it.

And when she sees such things, she "talks" to them. She stares intently at them, or her pacifer when she's trying to get it in her mouth, and just go "AAAAAAAAAHHHHH" at whatever the object is for several minutes. It's adorable - annoying, but adorable.

Maybe this is everyone's child, but I hope not. I love these little odd things she does. They are more precious to me than I could ever imagine, and I get sad to think of the day when she will no longer do any of them.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home