Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

I unwittingly taught Veronica a new phrase recently.

A few nights ago, Veronica pointed to the cover of her Chicken Little DVD box and asked me what one of the characters was doing. I was tired. The character was just standing there, but that wasn't a sufficient response. So "I don't know, I guess he's just hanging out" was my reply.

"Hanging out?" Veronica asked.

"Yeah, hanging out," I answered. "It's, um, it's like, when you're standing around talking with your friends and spending time with them and waiting to see what happens. That's hanging out."

And wouldn't you know it: The phrase has now entered her lexicon to hilarious results. Now she'll ask what any sedentary item is doing, and come to the same conclusion. This morning, while Jason got her dressed, was a prime example:

"Where bear?"

"Your bear's on your sofa, Veronica."

"What he doing there? He just hanging out?"

"Yes, Veronica. He's just hanging out."

Veronica then gave him a knowing look, as if to say Yes, that's the conclusion I reached as well.

Somehow, though, she added a modifier. I have no idea where she learned it, but it makes things even more comical. Now a conversation may go like this:

"What dat, Mommy?"

"That's a trash can, Veronica."

"What it doing? It just hanging out someplace?"

And how can I answer that without laughing? Simple. I can't. :-)

1 Comments:

  • At 10:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I just love these stories, Maranie. Veronica is so lucky not only that you're recording her adorable antics, but also that you have such a knack for storytelling yourself! Keep 'em coming... :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home