Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Happy 31st Birthday, Jason!

Being that we are low on funds at the moment, a birthday celebration was not planned. However, last night Veronica and I headed to the mall, JCPenney gift card in hand (left over from Christmas), while Jason mowed the lawn. After purchasing Veronica two sets of spring pajamas, we had $6.76 left on the gift card. I was determined to use it to get Jason something.

So Veronica and I went downstairs, where they were having a sale on men's t-shirts. I found a polo-type shirt he would've loved - too expensive. Veronica found a baseball shirt in bright green - also too expensive. We finally found a sales table with shirts all going for a little over $5.00, and I let Veronica pick.

First she liked the red one, but I pointed out to her that there were more colors, the red was just the first she saw. She then chose a baby blue one. I said that was a good choice too, but pointed out there were more shirts on the other side of the table, even different blue ones. She walked around and picked out a more sky-blue shirt. We found one in Jason's size, and she insisted on holding it, balling it up, holding it to her chest and explaining "It cold. I keep it warm." :-)

Once we got home, Jason was finished mowing the lawn and was so exhausted that he never looked up from his game of Diablo II on the computer to hear me wrapping the shirt, or to see me walk through the living room with a bright yellow package. A little later I was putting away laundry in the bedroom; Jason was in there too, and Veronica walked in, looked at the clothes I was hanging, and said "Where Daddy blue shirt?" I said "I don't know, maybe in the closet." Gotta teach that kid what a secret is....Fortunately, he didn't catch it.

This morning Veronica was fussy until I asked her if she wanted to give Daddy his present. This thrilled her. She paraded it through the bedroom and into the living room, where she deemed it an approrpriate location for gift-giving.

Jason loved the shirt. Nothing fancy, it's just a plain blue t-shirt. No logos, no pockets, nothing. But he said it could've been lime-green (his least favorite color) and he would've still loved it. His little girl decided that this was the shirt he should have. Veronica asked after he opened it, "Is dat your fave-wit shirt, Daddy?" And he smiled and said "Yes, Veronica. It is now."

Once again: Happy Birthday, honey. I love you. And I love Veronica and how you two love each other, too. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home