Maranie = Mommy

A journey into every new unknown of motherhood.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Husbands.

Jason was home sick yesterday, so he was there to answer the phone when Squeaky's husband called with the good news about lil' Alexander Gregory, aka Xander. So Jason called me. I came home ecstatic, bubbling over the picture on her husband's blog and talking about their new little family. I ran out in the drizzly weather to grab a card at Hallmark, choosing one that brought a tear to my eye, it was so sweet. (But not cheesy. I don't do cheese. There was one card there that referred to the new baby as their ray of "son-shine" and I quickly vetoed that one. Good lord,who buys that crap?) I posted on my blog and keep going back to see pictures of the kid. In other words, this is big news to me, this is exciting for me, this means a lot to me. And it was all I could talk about yesterday evening.

It wasn't until around 11 p.m. last night that Jason said "oh, the phone number to her hospital room is on the fridge."

What?!

For those who have any idea of the timeline, let's point out that this is about, oh, twelve hours after I'd found out the news of the birth.

"Why didn't you tell me?" was, of course, my first question.

"Because you're not supposed to call today, anyway. They don't want any calls until tomorrow. After 10." Now, I've had a baby, I understand - they need some time to themselves, and after Squeaky went through 28 hours of labor before a c-section, I'm sure she needs even more rest than I did. But I told Jason "honey, you know I would've respected that, why didn't you tell me earlier?"He mumbled something about putting it off, and I said "you just forgot."BAH!

Jason, honey, I know you'll read this later, and know that I love you dearly, but for crying out loud! Biggest news of the day, I daresay the week (I'm really hoping not to get any news more important than this in the next seven days, because good chance it would be bad news this time around - I'm so sunny), and you forget to tell me. Honey, honey, honey.

At any rate, I got to talk to Squeaky for about 40 minutes this evening - sounds like she went through a rough time with the delivery, but she's happy and doing well, Xander is breastfeeding well, and all is good. I haven't heard her this happy in a long time. I'm so wonderfully happy for her and her husband.

As far as Veronica goes, here's some new things for her:

New words are too plentiful to mention. The nice thing is her abilityto figure things out and apply her new knowledge of language. For example, she knows that a dog says "woof," a duck says "quack", a kittycat says "meow," and a big cat says "roar!"

This one took me by surprise: We took a walk a few evenings ago, and we passed a vacant house with a mailbox that is leaning over pretty far. "Uh-oh!" Veronica said, looking at the mailbox. "I know, the mailbox is falling down, isn't it?" I replied. "That's because - you see that house?" "House?" she said, looking at the home in question. "Yes, that house,"I said. "There's nobody living in that house, nobody to take care ofthe mailbox. They all moved away." Still looking at this house,Veronica asked, very earnestly, "Where they go?" And that knocked me for a loop so much that I just had to stammer "Uh...I...don't...know where they went, honey, I guess they just moved into a different house." I guess that sufficed, she didn't ask again.

She also thinks she owns the TV, and tries to control what is on. She throws a royal hissy fit if she doesn't have access to the DVD player when she wants it, or doesn't get to watch exactly what she wants to see. Fortunately the Dora DVD has left her frequent rotation for the time being, but even so, you can only watch any one of her three BabyEinstein DVD's on a continuous loop for so long before you start going a bit mad. I guess the advantage is that she is learning from them - her new favorite animal is the giraffe, and she knows the colors red, green, and yellow - but Mommy and Daddy are going a bit nuts. Daddy had thea udacity to try and watch an old episode of CSI on Spike TV last night, and she threw a fit like you wouldn't believe. He even had to go to our bedroom to watch Teen Titans, which she normally likes.

I like the fact that she's learning, and that she has very distinct likes and dislikes, that she is clear about what she wants and doesn't want. But please, I'd like to watch "The Apprentice" in peace this week kiddo! Is that too much to ask?

I guess I can tie all of this together in saying that I can't wait to see little Xander and for Veronica and him to meet. I think it will be adorable. She loves babies, and even more funny, doesn't consider herself to be one. :-)

And I'm no longer the only mommy in my old circle of friends. Welcome to the club, Squeaky. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home